You are a start-up dealing with raw materials and want to test your business idea? You want to meet key players in the sector and are looking for financial and/or non-financial support? Then we have good news for you!
Europe is home to world-leading manufacturing industries, game-changing innovative technologies and an entrepreneurial infrastructure that can enable the transition to a resource efficient, sustainable society as envisioned in the EU 2020 agenda. A sustainable supply of minerals, metals and materials is vital for the development of our core industrial activities and their long-term economic success. However, Europe has become highly dependent on imports of these mineral resources, particularly critical raw materials, which is a key challenge to future business in Europe.
EIT RawMaterials mission is to support innovation that develops raw materials into a major strength of Europe. It aims at promoting new solutions that provide a cost-efficient, secure, sustainable supply and use of raw materials throughout the value chain ranging from exploration, mining, and processing of raw materials, to their recycling and integration into a Circular Economy.
To significantly enhance innovation rates in the (mineral and metal) raw materials sector, EIT RawMaterials offers Incubator & Business Creation Services via its Network and Collaboration Activities as well as Financial Support. With this new Call for applications, the Start-up and SME Booster Program runs successfully for four years. Currently, 108 start-ups were supported, with more than 70 Mio. € of external investment raised and 19 products and services launched on the market.
The selected teams benefit from up to 60.000€ financial support and coaching from dedicated business experts. Based on the specific needs, it is possible to run testbeds, get in contact with industry experts, get access to outstanding infrastructure of EIT RawMaterials partners and find first users to give feedback and reference for your business.
There is also the opportunity to participate in the EIT RawMaterials Accelerator.
The program consists of three stages:
- Phase 1 is about building proof of concept for the business model in the targeted raw materials market segments. It starts with ideas at TRL 4-6 and aims to find a market niche, to develop a financial model, and to build a business model (3 month duration).
- Phase 2 is to validate customer needs and verify business assumptions. The offering provided by the selected Start-ups should be at TRL 6-7 (3-6 month duration).
- Phase 3 aims to get the business ready for launch. The offering of the Start-ups should at start be at a TRL 7-9 and heading for market entrance (6-9 month duration).
For each phase start-ups will receive additional financial support to cover the costs for participation.
Additionally we organize networking events throughout the year– various opportunities to pitch and present your service/technology to the EIT RawMaterials community and investors. This year we introduce our flagship event, the EIT RawMaterials SUMMIT, 20.-22.5.2019 in Berlin. The event includes a Venture Forum where selected teams pitch their idea in front of potential investors.
There are six regional Innovation Hubs in Belgium, Finland, France, Italy, Poland and Sweden, that represent different regional ecosystems connecting industry, research and education.
The Innovation Hubs support relevant business ideas related to the following topics which are the focus of EIT RawMaterials:
- Metal and mineral raw materials.
- Bio-based and polymer materials in view of their potential as substitute material
- Other materials are considered in the context of multi-material product recycling.
You are more than welcome to apply if your business is answering one of the following key challenges:
- Exploration and raw materials resources assessment
- Mining in challenging environments
- Increased resource efficiency in mineral and metallurgical processes
- Recycling and material chain optimisation for End-of-Life products
- Substitution of critical and toxic materials and for optimised performance
- Design of products and services for the circular economy
How to apply?
The Start-up & SME Booster Call 2019 is open all year long. For sake of clarity and to ensure smooth selection and operational progress of the selected Start-ups and SMEs, 3 cut-off dates for proposal submission are organised. The next cut-off dates are14 June and 20 September 2019.
Find out more here
Contact: Nora GrothBusiness Developer EIT RawMaterials GmbH – Central CLC M: +49 1624320229 E: email@example.com
Statements of the author do not necessarily represent the editors and the publisher opinion again.